Australian Education System For International Students
If you have ever considered international studies, you definitely need to read about the Australian education system. You can choose amongst numerous private and public schools – Studying in Australia ensures that you will find your dream world-class course. There are 1200 institutes of education for international students, offering 22,000 different courses. A nice choice isn’t it? You can pick an English course, a Vocational training course (VET) in the best colleges or a Higher Education at a University or TAFE (Technical and Further Education). Naturally, all classes will be conducted in English.
Keep in mind that a school of your choice needs to be registered on CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students), a registry of courses designed for overseas students. Only a registered institute can grant a student visa for you.
Are you worried about the cost of studying abroad? That shouldn’t be a problem at all because prices start from AU$5,000 per year. Of course, if you want to start your study adventure in Australia with a Bachelor or Master Degree, it is associated with higher costs. If you want to find out further details about it, contact us.
Great proof that studying in Australia is the best choice you can make and that it offers world-class education is the fact that a lot of the biggest innovations in the world are invented by university graduates from Australia. Such innovations are Wi-Fi, cochlear implant, penicillin and the black box flight recorder! Education for international students in Australia is designed in such a way that students think on a grand scale and graduate with high-quality qualifications. All this is due to the fact that they promote creativity, independent thinking, innovation and teach how to use theoretical knowledge in practice.
Our agency, called Australia Study, will make sure that the course you apply for fits your needs and expectations the best. As to the city, the school and the course itself – you can be sure that you will end up with an option that provides you with the best opportunity of growth and satisfaction. International studies have never been so easy -we will make your vision a reality!
Key Facts About Education in Australia for International Students
- Australia is the third most popular destination for international students in the world
- Australia is currently home to nearly 700,000 international students
- Australia has six of the world’s top 100 universities – The University of Melbourne, Australian National University, University of Sydney, University of Queensland, University of New South Wales and Monash University were all ranked in the top 100 universities in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- There are over 1,100 Australian educational institutions that offer over 22,000 courses
- Seven of the best student cities in the world are in Australia (in order; Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth and Gold Coast)
- Australia has over 2.5 million international alumni making a global difference
- Australian universities have produced 15 Nobel laureates
- The most popular educational sector in Australia is Higher Education – almost 44% of international students in 2017. The second most popular sector is VET – 27% of international students in Australia in 2017
- NSW is the first location option for international students and Victoria is the second
The information above was sourced from the Australian Government’s Department of Education and Training 2017 international student enrolment data and government website www.studyinaustralia.gov.au.
English CoursesLearn more
Professional EducationLearn more
International studies are not only for people interested in higher education or learning English. As well as colleges and Universities, Australian schools are world leaders. Due to the diverse environment, learning at an Australian school teaches children to see the world from a broader perspective. In addition, schools offer a broad curriculum in key areas such as Math, English, Science, Social Sciences, Technology, Physical Education as well as non-English languages.
- The basic scholar system has two levels: primary school and high school
- Primary school: mandatory for kids between 6 and 15 years old
- After primary school students can continue education in high school, enroll to a professional course or seek employment.
English Courses for International Students
If you have always dreamed about communicating freely while travelling around the world or studying abroad, the General English course in Australia is the first step to make your dreams come true.
General English courses are conducted on several levels starting from Beginners A1, through Elementary A2, Pre-intermediate B1, Intermediate B2, Upper-Intermediate C1, ending with Advanced C2. Find out more about General English courses in Australia.
Australian providers also offer preparation courses for language examinations, that are recognised around the world, such as IELTS, PTE or Cambridge Certificate in English. Find out more about preparation courses for language examinations.
If you already have a specific career path you want to follow and you plan to start studying at an Australian College or University, you can enrol in English for professionals course. There are many courses to choose from, including English for Business, English for Teachers, English for Healthcare and Nursing, English for IT or Pronunciation for Professionals. Find out more!
You can choose the duration of your studies between 2 weeks to 2 year and sometimes courses are even organised through Universities, TAFE or Colleges.
Find out more about English Courses for international students in Australia.
Professional Education for International Students
- Based on developing knowledge and skills in a particular business or profession
- Vet Courses Provide students with good know-how and applicable training
- Available at TAFE and Colleges for international students
- Enable getting qualifications for future career development in many professions
- Short for Technical And Further Education
- It is a public institution offering the widest range of professional education for international and domestic students
- Courses in TAFE include: business, finance, hospitality, tourism, construction, visual arts, IT, social work, health, building, design, etc.
- TAFE is a perfect solution to those who want to consisently build up a future career from day one
Certificate III and IV in professional education
- Very popular among international students
- You can start with Certificate III and continue through Certificate IV to Diploma and Advanced Diploma
- Certificates are widely accepted by Universities and can account for credits on a bachelor level
- Certificates III and IV provide you with useful knowledge and applicable skills
Diploma and advanced diploma
- Can last between 1 and 3 years
- Are usually equivalent to 1 year of University education, sometimes even more
- Diplomas are offered on a more practical level, offered by both public and private institutions
- Suitable if you want to develop your skills in a particular directions
- Australia offers a very good level of higher education
- Australian Universities are ranked high worldwide attracting students from all the globe
- Start dates usually occurs 2-3 times a year
- University fees can vary between AU$7,500 to AU$15,000 dollars per semester
- To apply for fulltime University studies you need a students visa, subclass 500.
- Graduates can take advantage of Postgraduate Work Visa, subclass 485, allowing them to extend their stay and find employment.
There are many reasons why studying in Australia is the best choice you can make. We could write a book about it, but we’ll focus on a few of the key reasons! 🙂
A great education system!
Australia has one of the best education systems in the world. According to The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021 (the largest and most diverse university ranking to date), there are as many as 13 Australian universities among the top 200 education providers in the world.
International students have a huge selection of schools and majors, so everyone will surely find a course that is right for them! Additionally, Australian universities are great places for people interested in research, due to their extensive research programs.
Improve your english skills!
Studying abroad is a great way to improve your language skills. In Australia, the official language is English, so you have the possibility to speak it at every stage of your adventure: at school, at work, during catch-ups with friends, during everyday shopping or at home talking to your roommates!
Before you start the course of your choice, you can enroll in an English course that prepares you to study or work in a given sector. It will make you feel at ease from the very first days at the university or college.
Discover new cultures and live safely!
Australia is a country where you can discover new cultures every day! People from all over the world live and study here, and they all live together in full harmony and tolerance. Australians are very open minded, friendly, helpful and love small talks! So don’t be surprised if someone on the street asks you how are you, where you are from and what you are doing in Australia! 🙂 Everyone feels welcome here, because Australia is known for its hospitality and multiculturalism.
Moreover, Australia is a very safe country to live in, with one of the lowest crime rates in the world. The rights of both citizens and incoming guests are protected by a transparent legal system.
Choosing the right course of study abroad is a very important process. You need to think carefully about what you want to do in the future, but it’s best to start with your research on the Australian education market to make the right decision.
The Australian education system provides students with a large choice of degrees. The basic course for international students is an English course, which is where many people start their adventure. If you feel comfortable in English, you can immediately start with vocational courses, undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate studies. Australia also has a great offer of TAFE vocational courses.
Another aspect to consider is the city in which you would like to study and what your budget for your Australian adventure is.
But do not worry! You don’t have to do it all by yourself. Contact us by clicking HERE, and we will help you fulfill your dreams of studying abroad!
The most popular australian educational sectors are Higher Education and VET courses. In 2020, 49% of the total international students studied in the Higher Education sector, while 33% of studied in the VET sector.
If you want to know more about Higher Education in Australia click HERE.
If you want to know more about VET courses in Australia click HERE.
The most popular destinations for international students are New South Wales and Vicoria.
The most popular cities in those states are the capital cities, but both have additional favoured student cities, such as Byron Bay, Newcastle and Wollongong in Sydney and Geelong in Victoria.
Year by year more and more students are also choosing Queensland (with many different study locations on the coastline and inland) and other states.
Annually nearly 1 million international students come to Australia on a student visa to conduct their studies. The number of international students increase every year. In 2020 59% of the total number of international students in Australia was orginiated from 5 countries: China, India, Nepal, Vietnam and Brazil.
If you are not Permanent Resident or Citizen of Australia and you would like to undertake studies in Australia then you should research education for international students and you can call yourself an international student.
To become an international student you need to take 3 basic steps:
- CHOOSE A SCHOOL
- SIGN UP
- APPLY FOR A VISA
Truthfully, the whole process is a bit more complex than that. You don’t know how or where to start? Contact us by clicking here, we will help you fulfill your dreams of studying abroad!
It can’t be made clear which universities in Australia are the best for international students. The level of education in Australia is very high and the teaching methods are modern focusing on practice, not just theory. When choosing a school and the type of course, we should be guided by our individual needs.
However, if our answer is based only on data, a reliable source of knowledge will be The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021 which include more than 1,500 universities across 93 countries and regions, making them the largest and most diverse university rankings to date.
There are 12 Australian universities on the list, with the University of Melbourne taking the highest position. They rely on 13 performance indicators that measure institution performance in four areas: teaching, research, knowledge transfer, and international perspectives. Here’s the list of all Australian universities that cracked the top 200:
- University of Melbourne (31)
- University of Sydney (51)
- Australian National University (59)
- The University of Queensland (62)
- Monash University (64)
- The University of New South Wales, Sydney (67)
- University of Adelaide (118)
- The University of Western Australia (139)
- University of Technology Sydney (160)
- University of Canberra (184)
- Queensland University of Technology (186)
- Macquarie University (195)
The best universities in the world, world-class education, a country of many cultures and tolerance, stunning nature, beautiful weather, availability of student visas, the great outdoors, great support system for students, security in everyday life, incredible work opportunities are all found in Australia – and these are just some of the reasons!
Australia is a land of endless opportunities and a paradise for international students.
The student visa application process is for the Australian Department of Home Affairs to determine whether you meet the genuine student condition. As long as you are able to prove that you are coming to Australia to learn, you are eligible to apply for the student visa.
However, there are quite a few requirements to get your visa granted, such as you must be enrolled in a CRICOS registered course in Australia (in other words, a course for international students), present the required documents for the visa application and be of a good character. We are happy to explain and help you with this process! Contact us by clicking here, we will help you fulfill your dreams of studying abroad!
You do not need to be a current international student and there is no age limit to become an international student in Australia.
To find out more about student visas click here.
It all depends on your approach! 🙂 Finding a job in Australia shouldn’t be too difficult, especially in big cities, such as Sydney or Melbourne. The most important thing is that you prepare for it well; write a resume according to Australian standards adding in references, do the appropriate courses (for example if you want to start working in Hospitality do Responsible Service of Alcohol -RSA- or Construction do White Card), and don’t forget about your positive attitude!
Education for international students in Australia does cost, but is quite competitive in the world. There are various options of studies from $100 per week up to more expensive Higher Education courses. There are thousands of providers offering countless registered courses so you will find something for yourself for sure.
You don’t know how to start? Contact us by clicking here and we will help you fulfill your dream of studying abroad!
There is a major difference between RTO education providers and CRICOS:
CRICOS stands for Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. These are approved education providers for international students. To apply for an Australian student visa, you must be enrolled in a CRICOS registered course in Australia (in other words, a course for international students).
RTO stands for Registered Training Organisation, these are institutions that can train local students, i.e. Australian citizens or people with permanent residency – PR. Some RTOs are registered as a CRICOS provider too and only then can an international student enroll in a course at such a school.
When looking for the perfect course in Asutralia, remember that you can only study with CRICOS registered providers. You can check all the available courses on the CRICOS website here or contact us here to help you out in looking for the perfect course for you!