“If we want users to like our software, we should design it to behave like a likeable person.”
Software development is not rocket science, but it will require lots of patience and persistence from you. As a Software Developer, you can create any kind of software. It will be the constant process of designing, conceiving, specifying, programming, documenting, testing, and bug fixing. It’s much easier to understand anything with software after you’ve typed it out and seen it work than it is to just read about it. Reading is only good as a source of information, but you need to practice and practice a lot.
What’s it like to be a Software Developer?
Working as a Software Developer is very similar to being an artist. Whether you’re a composer, a painter, or a poet, you start with a blank page and you create something of your own, with complete freedom. The sky is the limit for your imagination. Furthermore, software development has that rare ability to stimulate both the logical and creative part of your brain. You have to follow clearly defined logical patterns in order to make things work, but at the same time you can use your creativity to come up with new concepts.
What skills are useful for a Software Developer?
- Complete knowledge of SDLC (System Development Life Cycle)
- Understanding software development security (algorithm and concepts)
- Knowing how to dissect your code and use the available tools to find bugs is essential
- Knowing Automation Tools
- Soft skills:
- Able to make good estimations
- Organised and be reliable
- Adaptable in a changing environment
- Goal-oriented mindset
- Problem-solving mindset
10 tips to kick-start an amazing software developer career:
- You need to be able to learn, grow, and adapt – at work, you will never know everything, but you will be expected to know how to figure it out. Every web developer, regardless of experience, looks for the best solutions.
- Be relentless and passionate – there is no doubt that you need to have the necessary knowledge to be a productive software developer. However, there will be times you don’t know something, and you just need to spend hours fighting to learn it and grow, and you have to not give up. If you keep at it, you will eventually get there.
- Work on your own projects – build your outstanding portfolio to impress your employees.
- Get experience at recogniseda software development company – look to secure a placement in an internship program while studying. This will provide you with relevant experience as well as guidance and mentorship from experienced software developers.
- Join online communities. The internet is a great place to meet people, establish connections and talk about things you love. You can get great tips from workers with more experience. An online community can help you upgrade your skills, network, and make friendships with like-minded software developers. You will obtain new ideas from various platforms such as Hashnode,Coderwall, and Stack Overflow.
- Live in the Matrix. Knowing coding is the most basic requirement of your software developer career. You need to code every day -with patience. Practice makes a man perfect and to become a perfect software engineer, you need to practice and learn everything about programming languages.
- Be a pro at debugging. A Software Developer is not enough when being good at coding only, you need to be a pro at finding the bugs and to do debugging. This is another major skill which you need to be absolutely good at.
- Do not restrict yourselves to a single speciality. You can learn Android software development, agile software, app development software but at the end of the day it is not good sticking to just one field and languages. You need to lean and get acquainted with as many languages as possible. This way, you’ll have more opportunities. At least at the start of your software developer career you should be able to work with any of the popular languages. You can always specialise later on in your career.
- This is the only field where you do not need a formal education to work in.Yes, it’s difficult, but if you spend some time learning programming and do it regularly, you’ll learn everything that is needed to become a developer and you’ll get your first job while studying!
- Be adaptable and able to pick up new techniques. Software development technology improves and changes quickly, keep up with!
What is the difference between a Software Developer and a Web Developer?
As a Software Developer you will create any kind of softwareand itwill be client-based or client-server-based. Typically, you will do the following:
- Analyse users’ needs and then design, test, and develop software to meet those needs.
- Recommend software upgrades for customers’ existing programs and systems.
- Design each piece of an application or system and plan how the pieces will work together.
As a Web Developer you will build websites or web applications that are strictly client-server-based.
Is it a good career? In which areas can I develop?
If you are good at it, software development can be a great career. The pay is typically excellent and you can find employment pretty much anywhere in the world. Also, there is a need for software development in every single industry; healthcare, tourism, agriculture, manufacturing, banking and so on –programmers are needed everywhere.
In software development you can become a programmer, software engineer or a software developer. These roles interact and overlap, and the dynamics between them vary greatly across development departments and communities.
As a programmer or coder – you will be writing source code to program computers for specific tasks like merging databases, processing online orders, routing communications, conducting searches, or displaying texts and graphics. Additionally, interpret instructions from software developers and engineers and use programming languages like C++ or Java to carry them out.
As a Software Engineer you will apply engineering principles to build software and systems to solve problems, and you will also be using modelling language and other tools to devise solutions that can often be applied to problems in a general way. Software engineering solutions adhere to the scientific method and must work in the real world, similarly like bridges and elevators need to work smoothly.
As a Software Developer you will have a less formal role than engineers and you can work integrally involved with specific project areas — including writing code. At the same time, you will drive the overall software development lifecycle.
How can I become a software engineer in Australia?
Which university is best for software engineering in Australia?
- The University of Auckland
- The Australian National University
- The University of Queensland
- University of Technology Sydney
- Griffith University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- The University of Otago
- The University of New South Wales
Which university is best for computer science in Australia?
The three best Universities to study Computer Science are The University of Melbourne, ANU and The University o Sydney.
|Australia Ranking||World Ranking||Name of institution||Location|
|1||32||The University of Melbourne||Melbourne|
|2||40||Australian National University||Canberra|
|3||42||The University of Sydney||Sydney|
Software engineering degrees in Australia
The best Bachelor of Software Development courses in Australia:
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) with a stream in Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Software Development)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Computer and Software Systems)
The best Diploma Software Development certificate and courses in Australia:
- The ICT50718 – Diploma of Software Development
- The ICA50715 – Diploma of Software Development
- Diploma of Network and Software Engineering
- Diploma of Software Development
- Graduate Diploma of Technology (Software Engineering)
- Master of Information Technology (Software Engineering)
- Master of Engineering Science (Software)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Software)
For courses check here.
How much does a Software Developer AND SOFTWARE ENGINEERS make IN AUSTRALIA?
Software engineers are in high demand and earn a better salary than the average Software Developer. Software is still booming and there is no indication that it’s going to slow down in the foreseeable future. Software development is the future.
The national average salary for a Software Developer is $85,000, for a Software Engineers is $95 000 in Australia.
How to become a Software Engineer in Australia?
You should first earn a degree in computer science or a related field. You should have at least a bachelor’s degree to begin your career as a Software Engineer. Majoring in computer science will offer you the most useful background for designing software.
Software engineering is difficult in some ways, but it is also a job that will constantly challenge you, and you can be learning from the first day to the last day of your career. You need to continuously update your knowledge: languages, frameworks, paradigms etc. they evolve literally every day. If you don’t learn something new you will fall behind form fellow employees. It will affect your salary quickly too.