Work & Holiday visa (sub.462)

Work & Holiday (subclass 462) is a perfect way of combining sightseeing in Australia and working.

  • Do you like holidays? Of course, you do! Who doesn’t!?
  • So how about we tell you that you can go on holiday for 12 months or even up to 3 years not worrying about your budget?
  • It’s possible thanks to Work and Holidays visa (subclass 462) in Australia.
  • There is one condition – these holidays are going to be in Australia if you can stand it by chance ☺

You Can apply for this visa if you are citizen of following countries:

  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Chile
  • China, People’s Republic of
  • Czech Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • Uruguay
  • United States of America
  • Vietnam
What is Work and Holiday visa?

Work and Holiday visa allows you:

  • staying in Australia for 12 months counting from the day of entry;
  • working full time (however, you cannot work for more than 6 months for the same employer);
  • studying for up to 4 months;
  • multiple entries to Australia during the visa duration.

Sounds like a plan? Check out more details about the visa below or simply contact us for assistance.

You can also read some of the Work & Holiday makers’ stories on our blog here.

Check out the Frequently Asked Questions below. We have the answer for you!
Who can apply for a Work & Holiday visa (subclass 462)?
  • You must be a citizen of one of the countries that are eligible for the visa Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462);
  • The applicant needs to be between 18 and 31 years old;
  • You must hold a higher education degree or at least completed 2 years of bachelor studies. If you don’t have one, you can come to Australia on a student visa to complete 1 year of the Diploma course and then apply for the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462);
  • You need to have certified knowledge of English on a communicative level (acknowledged will be exams passes no earlier than 12 months prior to applying);
    • IELTS with min.4.5 result, or
    • TOEFL with min.133 result computer tested, or
    • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic with min. 30 result, or
    • Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) with min.147 result or
    • at least 2 years of studying in English in your home country, or
    • a year of studies in Australia on Diploma, Bachelor or Master level.

Do you want to check your level of English in our unofficial English test?

Is the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) the same as the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)?

No, it is not. There are small minor differences in the visa conditions and both of these subclasses are available for the different countries’ passport holders. Check here which countries are eligible to apply for the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417).

Are there any limitations or additional requirements of Work & Holiday Visa (subclass 462)?

Yes, there are. But nothing you have to worry much about.

Time to time, during your visa verification process an Officer may request additional documentation i.e. police check, medical exam using a professional appointed by the Department of Immigration. But it does not happen too often.

Also, the Work & Holiday Visa (subclass 462) is an individual visa. That means you cannot bring your partner or kids with you unless they apply for their own appropriate visas.

You can apply for this visa only once in a lifetime unless you are looking for an extension by meeting the requirements specified in the question below.

How about insurance for my stay?

For the purpose of the application, you will not need proof of medical insurance however due to the high costs of medical services in Australia the Department of Immigration highly recommends to all Work and Holiday applicants to purchase such insurance.

Where can I lodge my visa application?

For most of the countries and applicants, the Work & Holiday Visa (subclass 462) can be lodged online. You don’t need to send the hard copies of the documents but soft copies (scans) of the documents will be required.

How much is the Work & Holiday visa (subclass 462) to Australia?

It is A$510 + credit card payment fees.

Is there any yearly quota of the applications that can be submitted?

Yes, there is a limit of the Work & Holiday visas granted in each financial year. Financial Year in Australia starts on the 1st of July and ends on the 30th of June. Hence, if there are no more visas available for your country in a particular year, you need to wait until the next year.

Can I check if visas are still available?

Officially, you cannot. But you can ask us whether we have the latest updates about it. 

Can I extend my visa and stay longer than 1 year?

Yes, you can!

If 12 months is not enough for you, you can extend your visa for a 2nd year once you meet the requirement of working in Australia in remote locations in Australia (those which are less developed and need your help) and in a particular industry for 88 days during your 1st year of that visa. You can find here the full list of postcodes and positions available.

You can also stay for your 3rd year of the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462), but then you need to do exactly the same thing as above but for almost 6 months.

How about I haven’t completed my 88 days, can I still extend my visa?

Yes and No!

You cannot apply for another Work and Holiday visa to Australia (subclass 462), but you may think of the student visa if you consider improving your skills and qualifications. You can check here more about the student visa options.

How long I have to use my Work and Holiday visa and enter Australia?

From the date your visa was granted, you have 1 year to enter Australia. Since then, you have another 1 year of legal permit in Australia.

Can I apply for Work & Holiday visa while I am in Australia?

No, you must be outside of Australia while applying for that visa and you can enter only once your visa is granted.